Magoebaskloof is a lush forested area in the mist belt of the northern Drakensberg. Known as The Land of the Silver Mist this area has been an inspiration to many well-known authors. Fondly referred to by the locals as “The Mountain”, this area, with the Village of Haenertsburg as it’s “capital”, boasts a host of activities, hiking trails, a variety of accommodation venues, restaurants, nurseries, and of course for the adrenaline junkies, some challenging adventure sport and mountain biking trails.
Getting there: Take the N1 north from Gauteng to Polokwane, exiting onto the R71 towards Tzaneen. You will find the Village of Haenertsburg about 60km from Polokwane. It is about 4 hours drive from Johannesburg and en-route to the Phalaborwa Gate into the Kruger National Park and various other game and nature reserves.
With four festivals a year the busy community of Haenertsburg will not let you go home disappointed. There is much to see and do, as you will see on the pages of our website.
Well-known for its adventure activities, birding and mountain biking, this pristine area with its many different faces will enchant you and tempt you to stay longer.
Mountain Biking trails:
Magoebaskloof tourism established five well marked trails for mountain bikers – from beginners to more experienced riders.
• Stanford Lake/ Ebenezer Dam (Blue) 5,3km – Suitable for families with young children. It follows the edge of Stanford Lake and Ebenezer Dam and is fairly flat. Start at Stanford Lake Lodge.
• Cheerio/Sequoia (Orange) 5 km – Suitable for families. It passes through the pine plantations, avo orchards and the gardens of Cheerio and Sequoia along grass paths and roads. Accessible from Cheerio Trout, Sequoia and Cheerio Gardens.
• Magoebaskloof Adventures (Black) 10km – For very experienced mountain bikers. 5km of technical single track. A steep climb gives spectacular views of Georges Valley before a steep descent back to the start. Start at Magoebaskloof Adventures.
• Cheerio/ Sequoia/Bramasole/ Stanford Lake College (Green) 20km. Suitable for experienced riders and weekend warriors. Start from Stanford Lake College, Cheerio Gardens, Cheerio Trout, Sequoia, Bramasole and Zwakala.
• Ebenezer/ Broederstroom (Yellow) 30km – Suitable for most riders. Follows the Blue route along Stanford Lake and Ebenezer Dam and along the river. Start from Stanford Lake Lodge, Stanford Lake College, Sequoia, Cheerio Trout and Cheerio Gardens.
• Yellow + Green 55km – A 50km route, from Stanford Lake Lodge follow the yellow route. On the Cheerio (L) Road the yellow and green routes link. Follow the Green route from here. Once you return to the link, follow the yellow route back to the start.
Detailed maps on www.magoebasklooftourism.co.za